I am such a big supporter of the Starkey Hearing Foundation. The cause is wonderful and they do so many amazing events year after year.
On Saturday, January 31st, the day before the big game, Larry Fitzgerald, Derrick Coleman, Greg Jennings, Maria Menounos, Gavin DeGraw, Daymond John and more joined Starkey Hearing Foundation at the Phoenix Municipal Stadium to provide free hearing aids for over 75 Phoenix-area men, women and children in need. Patients were fit by doctors and received new hearing aids while celebrities and NFL stars mingled with patients and their families and signed autographs.
Attending celebrities included: Maria Menunous; WWE stars Nikki & Brie Bella (The Bella Twins); Actors Katie Leclerc, Marlee Matlin and Quinton Aaron; musicians Gavin DeGraw, Sam Moore and Steve Aoki; Shark Tank stars Daymond John and Robert Herjave; veteran and Dancing with the Stars star J.R. Martinez; NFL players, Greg Jennings, Hannibal Navies, Jasper Brinkley, Jonathon Stewart, Kyle Rudolph, Larry Fitzgerald, Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, Chris Doleman, Connor Barwin, Will Witherspoon, Derrick Brooks, Derrick Coleman and Tommie Harris.
This is the ninth year that the foundation has held a hearing mission during Super Bowl weekend. As part of their partnership with the Clinton Global Initiative, Starkey Hearing Foundation is committed to providing more than one million hearing aids to people in need between 2010-2020.
“There is no greater gift than being able to be help connect someone to life and empower them to reach their full potential,” said Bill Austin, founder of Starkey Hearing Foundation. “Hearing brings people together, and we were so excited to have so many of our wonderful supporters join us in Phoenix.”
· A surprise appearance with Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals wide receiver and 15-year old patient Larry Crain. The Foundation heard Larry Crain was seen at a Phoenix hearing clinic where he was wearing Fitzgerald’s jersey. He has severe hearing loss, struggles in school, but for financial reasons, he was not properly diagnosed until now. He has never worn a hearing aid. Fitzgerald assisted with the fitting in Phoenix, changing his life forever.
· Hearing aid fitting with four children in the same family. The Mustard Family: Joshua – age 14, Ruth – age 13, Abigal – age 11, and Samuel – age nine.
· Little girl Azura Balkan, age four, hears for the very first time – Marlee Matlin and J.R. Martinez assist with the fitting and hold her hand.
· Maria Menounos and Gavin DeGraw sit with 15-year old Andy Mortensen as Bill Austin fits him with proper hearing aids.
· The Bella twins – Brie and Nikki Bella reveal their aunt is deaf and accompany young Phoenix resident Joseph Vasquez, age 11, as he is fit with proper hearing aids.
· Philadelphia Eagles Connor Barwin reveals he was born deaf. He cannot hear out of his left ear. This cause is especially meaningful to him.