Samuel L. Jackson Stands Up To Cancer In New PSA

Posted on Jan 11 2014 - 2:53pm by Danity Donnaly

STAND UP TO CANCER SAMUEL L. JACKSON

Samuel J. Jackson Stands Up To Cancer in a new PSA designed to increase awareness about childhood cancers.

St. Baldrick’s Foundation and Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) will unveil a new print and broadcast public service announcement featuring actor Samuel L. Jackson. The PSA, entitled “In Play,” is designed to increase awareness about childhood cancers and the critical importance for infants and children, and in particular teens and young adults with childhood cancers, to be treated by pediatric oncologists. Survival for teens and young adults is far greater when treated on pediatric cancer protocols.

The campaign will also highlight the need to support the best pediatric cancer research that will deliver cures and better treatments with fewer harsh side-effects and long-term complications for survivors. Each year, more than 175,000 children are diagnosed with cancer worldwide, and in the U.S., cancer is the number one disease killer of children. The St. Baldrick’s Foundation and SU2C are working to change those statistics.

“When I was a child in the 1950s, most kids who got diagnosed with cancer had little chance of survival. Now, there is hope,” said the Academy Award-nominated Jackson. “I am honored to join Stand Up To Cancer and the St. Baldrick’s Foundation to help educate people about childhood cancer and the importance of seeing a pediatric oncologist.” Samuel L. Jackson is an award-winning actor and film producer. He has appeared in more than 100 movies and is the highest grossing film actor in history. His movie credits include such blockbusters as Pulp Fiction, The Avengers, Die Hard with a Vengeance, The Incredibles and the Star Wars prequel trilogy, among others.
“Samuel L. Jackson is a powerful actor and has played some seriously tough guys,” said Kathleen Ruddy, chief executive officer of the St. Baldrick’s Foundation. “It seems very fitting that we have someone with his level of intensity and power speaking out against childhood cancers, which are seriously tough diseases. We are grateful to him for getting the message out that childhood cancer patients – even those who are teens and young adults – must be seen by pediatric cancer specialists for the best chance at survival.”

Jackson is joined in the PSA by four St. Baldrick’s Honored Kids, all of whom have had – or are still fighting — cancer. Along with their families, they serve as advocates to raise awareness for childhood cancer and the critical need for research funding, bringing hope and inspiration to countless St. Baldrick’s volunteers and supporters. The Honored Kids who appear in the PSA are Avery, 10, who’s stable; Aiden, 11, who’s currently cancer-free; William, 14; and Julia, 19, who are both in remission.

SU2C President and CEO, Sung Poblete added: “We are grateful to Samuel L. Jackson for lending his support to this extremely important campaign. While great progress has been made in the battle against childhood cancer, the sad fact remains that one in five children diagnosed in the U.S. will not survive. Through the creation of the St. Baldrick’s-Stand Up to Cancer Dream Team, we are making progress in the fight against childhood cancer research.”

To learn more, visit http://www.standup2cancer.org/pediatrics or www.stbaldricks.org/inplay.

32 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Pamela January 12, 2014 at 8:23 am - Reply

What a legendary actor and great cause!

2. MK January 13, 2014 at 3:09 pm - Reply

Gosh, I just love me some Samuel L. Jackson!

3. Janelle January 15, 2014 at 5:39 am - Reply

Samuel J. Jackson is one of my favorites

4. Allie January 15, 2014 at 5:44 am - Reply

It sure is good to see Samuel J. Jackson doing good

5. kay adeola February 6, 2014 at 4:54 am - Reply

Its really good to see him giving back its a shame more celebrities do not do something like this.

6. Robin (Masshole Mommy) February 6, 2014 at 5:36 am - Reply

I absolutely love Samuel J. Jackson – and this makes me love him even more!!

7. Jennifer Williams February 6, 2014 at 7:43 am - Reply

I love that he is helping bring awareness to this cause – it s so nice to see so many celebrities doing something so good. I have seen the Incredibles and loved it – one day I might get to watch his other movies but I never really get to control the remote at our house

8. Tess February 6, 2014 at 9:34 am - Reply

I love him! Great that he is helping out the fight!

9. GossipMoms February 6, 2014 at 10:01 am - Reply

Love to see celebs do things for a great cause love Samuel, he is a great actor

10. Rosey February 6, 2014 at 10:33 am - Reply

That’s a stand-up cause to be a part of…
    Big kudos to him for being the voice!

11. Sue February 6, 2014 at 10:44 am - Reply

I love when celebrities raise awareness for causes. I think the message reaches a lot more people who would not otherwise know about them. And I love Samuel L. Jackson. And St. Balrdrick’s does awesome work!

12. Terry February 6, 2014 at 11:14 am - Reply

Yay for Samuel J. Jackson, these kids need someone to stand up for them. Love it when celebrities get involved.

13. Nathan W Pace February 6, 2014 at 12:04 pm - Reply

Samuel L Jackson is great! I love when influential people use their status for good!

14. becca February 6, 2014 at 12:33 pm - Reply

way to go Samuel L Jackson i think when celebrities use there money and fame for good it’s awesome

15. Amber Edwards February 6, 2014 at 1:42 pm - Reply

I love seeing amazing actors stand up and join such important caused like bringing awareness to childhood cancer.

16. Theresa February 6, 2014 at 3:16 pm - Reply

It’s nice to see his softer side, supporting such a worthy cause. He’s always been a favorite of mine, and this is just another reason to love him even more!

17. Lawna February 6, 2014 at 5:15 pm - Reply

Such a great actor supporting such a great cause, love it!

18. Sarah Bailey February 6, 2014 at 8:23 pm - Reply

How fantastic to see an actor supporting a wonderful cause – good on him :) x

19. Melanie S. February 6, 2014 at 8:48 pm - Reply

It’s such a great cause. It makes me feel good to see someone using his influence for something so important.

20. Le-an Lacaba February 6, 2014 at 9:29 pm - Reply

I always thought of Samuel Jackson as one of the “bad asses” of the movie industry. It’s awesome to see a soft side of him!

21. Amanda Love February 6, 2014 at 9:52 pm - Reply

I love Sammy! Didn’t realize that he supports such a great cause. I wish more people were like him.

22. Robyn February 6, 2014 at 11:25 pm - Reply

I love Samuel L. Jackson, such a wonderful actor. What a great cause to support. Bravo!

23. Amanda February 7, 2014 at 12:29 am - Reply

I love it when celebrities use their status for good.

24. Annie February 7, 2014 at 12:42 am - Reply

That is pretty awesome to see Samuel Jackson giving back to such a wonderful cause!

25. Aisha Kristine Chong February 7, 2014 at 7:51 am - Reply

It’s always such a great news when celebrity goes for a great cause like cancer.

26. Katherine G February 7, 2014 at 11:04 am - Reply

I think that this is a great campaign. I have always been a fan of Samuel L. Jackson.

27. Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell February 7, 2014 at 2:07 pm - Reply

I really like that he’s putting his forum to good use this way. Those statistics are very sobering.

28. Eliz Frank February 7, 2014 at 3:13 pm - Reply

It’s great that he is doing a PSA for a great cause. I love his work as an actor too.
    Eliz

29. Mel Cole February 7, 2014 at 7:44 pm - Reply

He’s a nice actor. I like him :) This is so cool that he supports this foundation.

30. amanda February 8, 2014 at 12:09 am - Reply

i like that he stands up for it, but wonder if he volunteered or if he was paid.

31. Onica {MommyFactor} February 8, 2014 at 12:33 am - Reply

Samuel Jackson is amazing. You know if he’s helping promote a message you better listen. Nice of him to lend his voice to this Cancer PSA

32. Ashley Gill February 9, 2014 at 2:06 am - Reply

It’s good to see him using his name for some good! There are so many actors that b are in the news for bad stuff, it’s a relief to read something like this for one!

Leave A Response